So in working on one of the DCs at work, I noticed errors in the app event log:
Event ID 4098 The CTXLMC service failed to start.
It was preceded by the error:
Event ID 4096 Could not load the Java Virtual Machine.
Then i remembered uninstalling JRE on this box a while back, because really, it’s a DC, why would it be there? Well, I got my answer.
But no matter how much I googled, I couldnt find an easy answer to what specific version of JRE I needed to install, until, in researching Citrix support, I found:
We’re running Presentation Server 4.5 on a different box, but licensing on this box. And it seems the licensing services require JRE.
And after trying different versions, JRE 1.5.0 Update 9 worked just fine. The service started right up when manually started, with no errors in event logs.
Hope this helps!
Sorry about not posting for a while, but I’ve been tackling projects left and right, trying to shorten the list on my boss’ desk.
So major issue broke out this morning: password changes in Active Directory were failing with error:
The password does not meet the password policy requirements. Check the minimum password length, password complexity and password history requirements
Even through command line, (net user /domain username password) the error persisted. So I tried the usual, editing default domain policy, allowing/blocking inheritance on Domain Controller’s OU in GPMC, editing domain controller’s policy, the usual stuff you find googling the error. (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269236) Nothing worked… until, I noticed the same error in the application event log, over and over:
The description for Event ID ( 5 ) in Source ( WinPSAFilter ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .
And I didn’t notice that it started at about the same time users began reporting issues changing their passwords. Well, the WinPSAFilter belongs to our SSO product, Computer Associates, CA SSO.
Long story short, this software sucks. I uninstalled the Password Sync Agent from all of our DCs, and that was it. Password changes were now allowed.
Does anyone out there use this product? Have you had problems like this with it?
We were going to use it in a test environment, but have now decided that it just isn’t going to work out.
I have another Cisco tip to post, but I’ll post after work.
I have a scenario here at work where long distance calls require a 4 digit code to be entered after the phone number is dialed. Roughly, here’s how it goes:
pick up receiver -> 9,1 2223334444 -> wait for voice prompt -> 5555 (4 digit code)
So when setting up our new Zetafax server, I couldn’t find a way to configure this rule within the software. instead, I had to use Windows TAPI rules with the “calling card” options.
Just for reference, Windows TAPI only supports 255 or 256 prefix numbers per area code rule. Zetafax server, only supports 36. If you enter more than 36, the server configuration tool exits as if it had crashed. I called technical support, and the very rude lady on the phone, confirmed this limit, but lowered the number to 30 supported prefixes. She said the next release of Zetafax server would natively include rules like those in Windows TAPI, and also include an “exclude” list of prefixes, unlike TAPI’s “include” only option.
I really hope this makes sense, I googled this and couldn’t find an answer.
If you need explaining, feel free to send me an email.
So I’ve stated playing around with Microsoft’s Live Mesh application and am loving it!
I have in the past used sync tools like SyncToy and online storage, like Google Docs, but this is on a whole other level, not to mention remote desktop-like pc control.
This morning, I decided to install in on my Thinkpad x40, which is running Vista Business, but I kept getting an error:
Live Mesh service is unavailable.
Please retry your installation later.
[80072F78] The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response
I rebooted, over and over, but had no success. Later I realized my AV software was still runing. As soon as I disabled it, Live Mesh finished installing and started up with no problem. After a reboot, the AV came up and so did Live Mesh and it has been working OK since.
Just fyi, I’m running Avast! 4.8 Home edition.
Hope this helps, because I found no help google-ing this error.
I pushed out an .exe this morning to all desktops, network wide, and received numerous complaints that when users tried to run the .exe, a popup would prompt for comfirmation before allowing it to run. Its title was:
“Open File – Security Warning”
Of course, there is a checkbox to keep this prompt from reapearing, but we all know how end users can be…
So the ‘quick fix’ is to create or edit a group policy object and under “User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager”, enable “Inclusion list for low file types” and add .exe with the leading period.
After a gpupdate, the security prompt no longer came up.